Sunday, January 16, 2011

The Making of Saricorn - 1

continuation from The Making of Saricorn Intro

Saricorn - where I came from and who I'm becoming.

Ok - so in order to explain everything, I need to go back to the beginning....And forgive me during this whole process when I can't remember everything. My memory is great at numbers and feelings, but not so hot in past details...But I will do my best!! There is lots to tell....so here's the very beginning...

I was raised in Saratoga Springs, NY. I began playing the violin in 1st grade, thru the wonderful Suzuki method. I remember practicing almost everyday - even if only for 30 minutes. My father was the band director at our high school (and ended up as head of the Saratoga Springs School District Music Department), while my mother played guitar her whole life. My sister took up piano the same year I started the violin. My musical background grew into many other experiences. In 7th grade, I auditioned for, and made it into the Empire State Repertory Orchestra - 1st violin section. When I was accepted in to the orchestra, I remember having the make the decision - rehearsals were on Tuesday. I had gymnastics on Tuesday and Thursday. So, if I decided to be in the orchestra, I would have to give up gymnastics. I wish I could have done both. But this orchestra was a great opportunity! So, music it was. 8th grade, I auditioned again and made it into the "big leagues" - the Empire State Youth Orchestra. Here, I was in the 2nd violin section. (this year I had the opportunity to go on tour with the orchestra to Austria and Hungary). I played in the orchestra 2 years. I also competed every year in solo competitions, and usually did very well (I still have some of the medals I won!). My high school years brought about playing bassoon in the band, violin in the chamber orchestra, and making it into the Choraliers - a select chorus. As a senior, I was voted "Most Musical" in our class. During that same year of high school, I decided to only sing in the chorus and play bassoon in the band. I was burnt out from the violin. I felt like I had plateaued, and no matter how much I practiced, I wouldn't get any better. I remember hearing that my violin teacher cried when he found out I stopped playing. I guess I just needed a break. Though I loved playing it at concerts, I was done practicing.  But during my first year of college at Ithaca College, I missed the violin, and so played in the orchestra - but just that year.


So, needless to say, music was a major part of my childhood...and something I always felt extremely talented at. Of all the things I've tried thus far in my life, music is the only thing I feel I've truly succeeded at....











2 comments:

Herb said...

You sure have had an interesting life Johanna. You have talented parents and for sure inherited that talent. Violin, Bassoon and singing in High School. Now, you play guitar (quite well, I might add) and still have the voice of an angel.

I also liked you way to inner peace from the 1/9/2011 blog.....I often use that technique!!! Works like a charm....but when I get all caught up, I get tense so I always start a new bottle or open a new bag of candy before I've finished the previous one, that way I can finish them at my pace and have peace again and again!! :)

You are an amazing woman. Keep up with your dreams and never let them get away.

Your fan and friend,
Herb

Unknown said...

You forgot the part where gymnastics and music briefly met again while singing The National Anthem with a friend before a.t.'ing an IC gymnastics meet. (= Those were the days.

Soooo... have you played violin on any of your songs? Not sure how it would be to pick it up again (my piano skills are nil from leaving it also freshman year) but I think it would be awesome to hear you play and sing!

I <3 U and am loving your journey!
Linds